Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
I knew this would happen. No, not any piece in particular. You might notice what elements I was trying (and mostly failing) to infuse if you contrast the facial features with that in my other pictures, but ultimately this proves that I'm much to rooted in my own "style".

And I'm still hesitant to call it that, really, because it implies that I make a concious decision to use it over a number of alternatives. I don't, there is just what happens when I make pencil meet paper.There has never been any serious exploration of other methods.

And also, of course a very valid criticism. I will take care not to repeat that mistake.
Ah. ... You're looking to me for reference on facial structure, are you mad?

I am still deliberately and continuously switching styles and genres and I maintain that this is an excellent habit that's teaching me a lot. I lose the practical benefit of being able to reflexively draw pretty looking anime ladies, which is an ability I want and is tempting. In return, I gain the abstract benefit of not reflexively drawing pretty looking anime ladies whenever I put pen to paper and thus having a really broad range. This seems to be a problem you're working through.

I still advocate attempting to replicate styles you've never tried before; anime, western comics, hyper-realism, stylisation. Nothing's quite so educational as going out of your comfort zone. I wouldn't have learned just how awesome Pure Paints are if I hadn't decided to just do a picture without any linework at all one day, and my best pieces have been Pure Paints.

I feel like, by this point on Day 301, I could pick a style right now and commit to it and be half decent at it. I feel that the longer I delay that moment the more comprehensive my knowledge will be, the more informed my finished style will be, and the less I'll be bound by it in the future.