View Single Post

Thread: Alex Verus Series

1. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Alex Verus #1: Fated

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Cool, thanks for the feedback! Yeah, as you can probably guess I'm more on the 'hard magic' side of Sanderson's law. I really like those articles of his, by the way - the Second Law is very good too.

Encyclopaedia Arcana #10 is up, this one on time magic. Next three are going to be on spells, and the three after that are on the political factions of the Light Council.
    The initial wording on Time sight feels a little off. I feel like what you meant was "...a time mage can view a single the past, learning what did happen instead of what might have happened..." I mean, there is only one past, right? Not multiple pasts? Unless you're referring to individual pasts of objects and people, rather than the blanket term of "the past?"

Given the close connection of past and future, am I right in thinking that diviners also happen to be users of "time magic?" Theirs just happens to be rather specialized and unique, but it's still "time" magic. Or is divination in a completely separate category? And if so, why?

What safeguards are there to ensure that time mages, and by extension diviners, are honest about what they see? While I recognize that trust and repeat customers plays into it, there must be magical means of ensure the truth is spoken, yes?

In other news, haste, slow, and time hop are awesome.

I really like the way you separated this entry, particularly the section on Nature and Demeanor. I hope future articles on types of magic share this section!

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    In other news, I got my first terrible review! I'm still very new to having my book get any real exposure, so this is kind of a new thing for me. I've had a minority of six-out-of-ten reviews up to now, but they've all been of the "Well, I didn't like X and Y, but I liked A and B, and I'll pick up the next in the series to see where it goes" type, which is fair enough really. In this one though, the guy's reason for disliking the book was - quite literally - that there was a homage to Jim Butcher on page 3. Here's the link if you're curious.
    I've never been to Camden so I can't comment on the portrayal of it in Fated, except for the fact that it struck me as extremely quiet with very little going on and not at all an interesting set piece or location, notable only because that happened to be where Verus set up shop.

As for the rest of the review...
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2012-03-16 at 03:12 AM.