1. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: American Mythology Setting (Help is welcome!)

Quote Originally Posted by Omeganaut View Post
    I also believe the Boradoans have a tenuous alliance against the Republicans, should their lands be encroached on. After all, that nation is mighty and has powerful technology. More of a truce to avoid weakening each other than a true alliance, but still. Plus, people with significant differences working together is a big archetype in American folk legends and modern fantasy.
    A truce is a good idea. I like "Republic/Republicans" even less that "Patria/Patricians" though, just because "Republicans" are already present in the States today, and I'd rather avoid using the names of any modern real-world groups.

Having had some time to think about it, I'd like to stick with "Empire." Not only is it what we're used to already, but we've also established a couple of imperial precedents. Chief among them is the use of "Norton" as the capital/first Emperor. That hat-tip only makes sense if the governing body is an empire.

Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.

Pancho Villa/Blackfox: I'm fine with keeping them separate, I just wasn't following exactly what you guys had hashed out. So if we keep them separate, then Echevarria and Doroteo become a corrupt bad guy-duo that the Blackfox is out to destroy? And (to help preserve the Zorro stuff), Blackfox is the secret identity of some other wealthy Boradoan noble? Because that sounds pretty awesome to me.

Protectora: After reading this, I'm MUCH more okay with a big city for Viejo Borado. I think the Palace of the Old Gods is going to have to be much smaller than I had at first thought (like, maybe the size of a football field instead of 5-6 football fields), but it's totally doable. I'm picturing the city as a ring, maybe with walls on both sides? One to keep out invaders, and one to create a buffer between the city and the Palace (for safety's sake). The only people that cross that second wall are the priests, and the victims they lead out to be sacrificed on some big fancy altar.

Viejo Borado priests as a fusion between Mesoamerican indigenous religion and Catholicism is something I could get on board with, so long as it's more clearly the former than the latter. Cool idea!

Final Draft: I know! It seems strange, but we've got enough information put together for people to make a few adventures in most of the regions, including various local figures (both mundane and mythic). We still need a few things (the Natives stuff I mentioned, and some more culture hero write ups [Baron Samedi!]), but we're close! Like I said, when I finish with the Blackwood I'll be able to devote a lot more effort to this.

Borado-Imperial War: I think it should have happened just before the Kinstrife, just like in real life. In fact, it might be cool to say that it was never officially ended; the Empire simply withdrew its forces into a defensive position so it could deal with the Kinstrife, and things have since cooled off to the point of a very tenuous ceasefire that may never reignite. Cold war between alien and steam technology, anyone?
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2012-03-19 at 04:26 PM.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.