1. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Unrelated rant incoming:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe I'm spending too much time in all the wrong places on the Internet, or maybe these places are slowly invading the space I used to frequent, but I'm seriously facing issues with several communities; specifically those that promote political correctness and safe space for minorities/oppressed groups.
    There isn't a single day I spend without learning over and over again that because I'm a member of a privileged group (white and cisgender), my opinion is absolutely invalid.
    That -ism (racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, etc) is a combination of power and I forgot the second part, and therefore, that there isn't such a thing as a -ist insult/treatment against white/cisgender people, anywhere.
    That it's absolutely not okay to use various words that can possibly insult oppressed groups, but that it's perfectly okay to tell someone "lol you're such a [possible nickname for Richard]/[biscuit Polly often wants]".
    That women alone need protection, but that men should endure misandrist insults toward them - sorry, I forgot misandry doesn't exist - and that the same goes for cisgender people and such.
    That as long as I'm member of a single privileged group, I deserve the dismissal and insults.
    That my personal story shouldn't matter, and that even if the worse I ever did was using a bad word once in good faith - and accepting to change my vocabulary once I learn why it's bad, if I'm even told why this specific word is bad - the rest of the community can treat me badly.

I am getting angry. Not at any group, or even at any particular person. But I am tired of that attitude.
    I'm feeling more and more that, being asexual - in a particular fashion that makes me appear as straight today - I don't exactly count in the big group of LGBTQ+ people. Maybe I'm just an ally who deludes herself. Perhaps there isn't such a thing as demisexuals, and I'm just extremely picky and awkward. After all, I'm not being oppressed because of that, just annoyed in various ways that straight ciswomen generally are.
    But that is not a part of myself I wanted to question. I feel like that questioning only comes because of my frustration.

Look, I don't pretend I can speak in the name of any community that isn't asexual. I never did. But I'd like some respect. The same respect I'm giving to anyone else. Of course, I'm cissplaining/whitesplaining, so of course I'm seeing the world from a privileged point of view...
    [Bovine excrement]. I don't need to be treated like [REDACTED]. Yesterday alone, several Jewish kids and their teacher were killed gruesomely for reasons that are very probably racist. The murderer killed other people the week before, people that were considered "foreigners" by bigots. The murderer is still around, and though the chances are very small I risk anything, he still killed people who shared my ancestry, just because they existed. Oh, I'm white, my opinion on everything is invalid? I don't know, that sounded quite like oppression. Oh, but I'm still cisgender. That still invalids a bunch of stuff I say.

Whatever happens, I'm not going to let my frustration devolve into hate. We all deserve respect for what and who we are, as long as our acts are equally deserving of respect. I'm still supporting LGBTQ+ issues even if it turns out I'm not actually part of it. Oh, I know LGBTQ+ people don't need my help or approval. Nobody friggin' needs it. I'm not here to empower anyone. I just love you guys, yes, every single of you in that thread, and others, too.
    What I just want is a little respect. Spouting more hate in reaction to hate won't help anything. It never did. One party has to act civilized and understanding to stop the circle of hate, and I'm not sure we can count on the white, cisgender, straight and/or male majority for this.

Sorry, but I needed to let go some steam.
    Sadly, as was shown by the experiences of our current favorite blogger, being Trans or Gay or Feminist, or any such label or identity, does not automatically make one not an idiot, flaming or otherwise, or do anything about the seeds of hatred that may dwell within a person's heart.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-20 at 07:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide