Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
I believe being uncomfortable about breastfeeding mostly stems from being uncomfortable around very small children because they're annoying, socially awkward, and a danger to themselves and a major distraction to others.
Spoiler
Show
I mean, the sound of a child, especially a baby-infant-thing, crying is designed to set our teeth on edge so that we'll do anything to make it stop. However, if it isn't ours, then there's nothing we can actually do to make it stop. And if the parents ignore it and it's in public, then one either has to leave or stay and do what one was doing while one's teeth are on edge because one's brain is yelling at them to make the annoying sound stop.

So it seems like for at least some people that being set on edge by the crying then gets applied to the acts that relieve/temporarily stop the crying, such as feeding the kid, so it becomes more than it is due to not having an acceptable valve for getting rid of the stress of being around strange babies and then becomes something at the cultural level due to mutation and such.
Interesting idea, but I disagree. The exposed breasts in public is the entire problem; that by itself is a social taboo that almost never gets broken in any other situation, and a lot of people get weirded out by it even then.