Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet Priest View Post
Spoiler
Show
The way I see it this was a Ponyville prestige thing. It wasn't life and death, if they failed to lift the water then they would probably just hire a crew from Cloudsdale and do it the next day. In that case though Ponyville would be humiliated because they failed in their task. So Spitfire didn't help because the only thing at stake was the pride of the local Pegasi and her helping would be as bad as just letting them fail.
Finally watched the new ep, so can join in:
Spoiler
Show
The way I understood it, Spitfire was there as an overseer, she wasn't supposed to take part in anything. Kinda like you don't expect a contractor representative at a building site to do any actual building. Ponyville got a contract, or an equivalent of one, for delivering their supply of water to Cloudsdale, and Cloudsdale sent their representative, Spitfire, to oversee the project.

Now, new episode thougts.
Spoiler
Show
Wow. I mean, wow. Maybe it's just the contrast to the two episodes I didn't really like (Putting Your Hoof Down and Friend In Deed), but the last three episodes show a consistent ramping up of overall quality. While there again were a few things I don't really like (treating feathered wings as arms is wrong, however you present it), the rest of the episode and the characters and the worldbuilding potential all together overshadow them completely. Some moments were confusing, like wingpower/windpower readouts... I guess if you hold to the theory of Supernatural Martial Arts, where the wings are the foci for pegasus magic, then measuring total wingpower will actually work, as will directly adding it up rather than doing some fancy windspeed equation work.

And Fluttershy is a tree. That joke never gets old, does it?

Another great episode overall.