Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
Okay, so.

Hurricane Fluttershy
Spoiler
Show
So what makes this episode so great again?

Don't get me wrong, it was enjoyable. Plenty of FlutterDash material, couple of funny moments.

But what did this add to fluttershy. This is the same problem she has solved at LEAST once or twice before. This is why Fluttershy is low on my list. I want something closer to Dragonshy-the thing that makes Fluttershy interesting is that iron core. But all anyone-canon or fanon-uses her for is cutes and shyness, both of which I am, to be frank, sick of.[/rant]

Plus, why couldn't she have got hawks and falcons to help with the hurricane? A nice sideways solution.

So yeah. Seven out of ten. Three, four stars.
yea well, problems don't always stick to being solved, especially mental/psychological ones. there are y'know, relapses, and such. plus people can forget, can fall back into old habits and so on. solving the problems of ones mind is far from an exact science or as simple as administering a shot or doing a certain procedure that "cures" you. thinking that a characters problem that is ingrained into their natural thought processes is going to be solved quickly, isn't very realistic. the problem looks simple on the surface, but is actually far more complicated than it seems. any improvements are going to be gradual affairs, fraught with misconception after misconception and mental blocks and such, and plus the problem can be solved one way, and be unsolved in a completely different way, or the solution could go too far and you end up with a completely different problem.

all the while, people's minds have a certain fickleness or chaos to them, and uncertainty can creep up when you least expect it. people have a tendency to change their minds, experience bad days, good days, worse days….

if anything, MLP is being believable about the characters problems and showing us that such problems aren't always solved so quickly. plus, some things might seem like the same problem, but in the characters mind, are completely different beasts and situations. its because of how each mind is unique, that solving such problems are complicated and full of setbacks.