Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
They've angered their fanbase with two of the three and the third has a good plot with seemingly lackluster response. Two of these have endings contrary to the spirit of the gameplay. One of them doesn't have an ending at all, but is in a genre that neither expects nor desires one.
It's pretty much impossible not to anger bioware's fanbase, given that said fanbase is large enough to always have a group of reactionary nutters who will respond to any perceived fault with all the maturity and restraint of a spoiled toddler who's run out of sweets. You know, the kind of people who will try to launch legal action against the company because the last few minutes of a 30-odd hour game were bad. The kind of people who launch a campaign of harassment against a game writer because, in an interview conducted several years ago, she said she didn't particularly enjoy playing many of the games she'd written for. Sure, these individuals are far from the majority but they are easily the loudest.

More generally though the ME3 thing will most likely blow over given a year or two. The last time there was this kind of insanity over an ending was Evangelion, and we somehow managed to get over that. DA2's problem was more of a marketting marketing and being presented as a direct sequel - which it really shouldn't have been. There's really not a lot that's actually wrong with it, it just took a very different approach to DAO which a fair amount of people didn't like (which is entirely legitimate). Honestly, if it had been released as a stand-alone title I don't think it would have attracted as much vitriol as it did.

With each passing game I'm more and more getting the impression that people demand absolute perfection from Bioware. That the company have to compete not so much with it's competitors but the rose-tinted view of it's own former products.

So I wonder if people getting burned by their games isn't actually good for the company right now. That it will actually lower people's expectations and actually let them work in peace and not have to worry about satisfying everyone...
This is a very good point.