1. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Age II, Part 2: The Qun is pretty deep, you wouldn't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aux-Ash View Post
    While Bioware certainly has made a number of poor decisions/executions with recent games, it's well worth to remember that Bioware is also massively overhyped by it's fans.

I mean, when I followed the development of DA2 on the BSN (back when the atmosphere was still tolerable) I noticed -a lot- of people who were extremely critical of what they saw and still reasoned "It's a bioware game, so I'll probably like it". Despite every hint of the contrary, they still were convinced they'd love the game. They didn't.

With each passing game I'm more and more getting the impression that people demand absolute perfection from Bioware. That the company have to compete not so much with it's competitors but the rose-tinted view of it's own former products.

So I wonder if people getting burned by their games isn't actually good for the company right now. That it will actually lower people's expectations and actually let them work in peace and not have to worry about satisfying everyone...

That's not saying that people being upset about what they did does not have legitimate concerns though. In many cases they do.
    I'm inclined to agree. I don't know if I'm necessarily immune to this, but I didn't play Baldur's Gate like most BioWare fans seem to be obsessed with, so I don't compare Dragon Age: Origins or Dragon Age II to it, and I greatly enjoyed both games, Dragon Age II so much that it's one of the few games I've played through multiple times. And people have been stating over and over that Mass Effect 3 is a damn good game right up until the damp squib of an ending. I agree that BioWare's probably its own worst enemy in that regard. The Old Republic will always be compared unfavorably to Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age will continually be viewed as the red-headed stepchild of Baldur's Gate, etc. I think if some fans had their way, BioWare would just stop making new games and just rerelease Baldur's Gate every few years with updated graphics. You know, sort of like they're doing now?
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2012-03-27 at 10:43 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."