Quote Originally Posted by Giegue View Post
Semper Sursum sounds better then Excelsii to me, though I have no idea why. Both work, however. Also, I like the Reptilian Roswell thing, except I'd probably have it have happened sometime in the distant past. Not ancient, but pre-Dominion/Empire. I can see them taking control of a medieval/Renascence fraternal order and eventually transforming it into a Semper Sursum/Excelsii/Rectorum faction that they used to, eventually, help grow/expand capitalism, and eventually form the Dominion/Empire...In fact, if we used this idea we could even have a "split" in the Semper Sursum/Excelsii/Rectorum between the reptilian side and another side that broke off once the reptile side shifted the group's goals away from what it was meant for(enlightenment, an end to monarchy, whatever....you can decide this.). I can see them being equally shadowy and willing to do "evil" things as the reptile side, but with much more benevolent goals.....they'd be more "anti-hero" while the reptile side would be more "villain" if you get what I mean.
How Dragon do the Reptiles look? Are they the Snake-like Dragons of Eastern Lore, or more thuggish beasts? Could they pass for human? If so, is it only natural that they can retract their reptilian appearance, or do they employ a magical Glamor effect? In fact, after a few centuries, what's to say they didn't use their power to become more human? Some of the conspiracy theories could be based on the fear that something is replacing people with humans who are only outwardly so while possessed of truly alien biology. I like this variant myself. Adds to the cloak-and-dagger/alien conspiracy/invasion of the body snatchers vibe.

Secondly, just so I'm clear on this, allow me to summarize, with embellishments:
Spoiler
Show
The Dragons were traveling through space for some reason, colonizing efforts, I assume, since they need to breed (unless becoming more human was their answer to this problem), when their navigation sensors were thrown off by the emanations given off by the Old God's technology and unusually high background magic on this world. They crashed and were forced to seek out the native lifeforms to survive.

Finding the locals to harbor a rather disturbingly violent hatred towards non-humans (Vampires and the like), the Dragons were forced to survive on the fringes of civilization, where they used their power to blend in with society (the damage from a glamor failure would be far worse in the middle of a crowded metropolis). In time they mastered the art of hiding in plain sight, and quietly added to the sum of human knowledge in their own ways, usually by helping certain skilled or crafty individuals make world-changing discoveries. While not present at every major historical event (and absent at quite a few notable ones), the Dragons moved in relative secret, trusting only a few with knowledge of their existence.

By this point, two things occurred: First, by this point the Dragons themselves had forgotten their own secret history, and none knew they were from the stars. Second, the Illumination began. Taking advantage of the human's Illuminated Revolution, the Dragons aided in the war against the Vampire Overlords, albeit in their typical secret. Though the Empire and the Semper Sursum weren't, strictly speaking, found by Dragons, key members of the Revolution at least knew of them or worked with them. The Dragons have since kept to the shadows, their traditions of secrecy and stealth having become too ingrained.

At the “Modern Day” period of time, there has been some murmuring of discontent within the Dragon circles. While most traditionalists wish to continue serving the Empire in secret until the day comes when they can be accepted by the human populace, there was prior to the Kinstrife a Modernist/Radical movement, mostly among the younger generation, who felt that time had come. Moreover, they felt that Dragons were innately superior, judging by their strength, speed, intelligence and their network of Dragons spread throughout the Empire. The Radicals wanted to rule the apes as the Vampires once did. While the Kinstrife waged a bloody and overt slaughter on the field, Sempur Sursum was split by a violent civil war. Traditionalists would attempt to aid the peace process using their contacts in both Dominion and Rebel governments, the Radicals would murder the ambassadors, or use their own contacts to do so.

The Traditionalists 'won', as much as that term means anything. The Radicals simply vanished, their parting blow perhaps being the attempted assassination and crippling of First Citizen Copperton. In the wake of the war, Sempur Sursum is weakened and disorganized. They are threatened every day by the swift advance of Progress, which may lead one day to their discovery, and by the unknown machinations of their lost allies among the Radicals, and even enemies among Sempur Sursum itself, members of the non-draconic cells that could move against them if it appears that the Dragons are following the Radicals' ideals and seeking dominion over man.

And how easy it would be for them to mistake a Radical from a Traditionalist when they're both Dragons?

I hope that sounds good. I left in a lot of leeway (I hope) in terms of where PCs can take the plot should their game involve these guys.