1. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    I need some advice on deck building. I'm trying to play a standard Vampire Tribal, and I'm looking for the cards to round out my deck, and cards to convert it to standard.

Right now it looks like this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Creatures:
    Stromkirk Noble 1x
    Bloodcrazed Neonate 3x
    Vampire Interloper 2x
    Child of Night 2x
    Stromkirk Captain 4x
    Markov Blademaster 3x
    Rakish Heir 4x
    Bloodline Keeper 2x

Spells:
    Lightning Bolt 4x
    Duress 4x
    Doom Blade 4x
    Skeletal Grimace 1x
    Curse of Bloodletting 2x

Land:
    Mountain 13x
    Swamp 11x

And I need to figure out a sideboard. ... Help.
    Okay, easy part first. Curse of Bloodletting should be cut because, by the time you get to 5 mana, they should have less than 10 life left. At that point it's better as Lava Axe. And if you don't want lava axe, you can just cut them.

Skeletal Grimace is horrible against a lot of decks, but maybe reasonable against some of the others. Move it to the sideboard to free up a slot.

The critical part of Duress is it's one of the few things you want to be doing on turn 1. That means you need to come up with 4 more things to do on turn 1. If you want Undying Evil for your vampires, that's fine, but be sure to add stuff you want on turn 1, like more Nobles or even Fume Spitter or (particularly sadistic with Rakish Heir in the deck) Infiltration Lens.

Lastly, you should make some minor adjustments to your mana base. You are trying to curve Markov Blademaster into Bloodline keeper. Unless your lands show up perfectly (2 of each), you will need a nonbasic to do so. A couple of Dragonskull Summits will make a noticeable difference. Also, consider running one Stensia Bloodhall over a spell for extra reach.

The first step in making a sideboard is to play it against some other decks and figure out why you keep losing.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-04-03 at 07:24 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.