Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
Spoiler
Show
Unlike the non-Drogskol Reaver 7+ drops (and actually most of the good 6 drops too), Avacyn will still be legal when Hook comes out. We don't know what Standard will look like at that point. It is entirely possible that Avacyn is exactly what you want in that situation. I think it is more useful to think of a card and think of the situations in which it could be good than to think of a card and ignore it on account of it not being good right now or even in comparison to what is good right now.

I understand that Avacyn doesn't change the board position. This makes it much harder to justify casting her at 8 mana. But I don't think that makes her unplayable. All it does is make her have less board presence.
Spoiler
Show
The issue is that there is a very real (and IMO a very good) argument that if something costs that much, it better change things in your favor immediately. If I'm hard-casting 8 mana worth of critter, I want a critter that *does something*. It needs to win or change the position in my favor or SOMETHING, not just faff about and be huge.

Do note, I actually like Avacyn, but don't find her particularly interesting or dangerous. Of course, this set might make her amazing, or Hook might make her amazing too, but I dunno. She just doesn't seem to be that amazingly interesting.