Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about it, I don't think anyone here is advocating a culling anytime soon. But, the werewolf culture would seriously seem to lend itself to such a practice. Everything we've seen about them shows them to be a very physical, active species. They are also acknowledged as having more extreme emotions, and as having strong senses of honor and duty. They also live in an extreme climate.* And this condition also makes the sufferer psychologically unstable, moreso than even a normal werewolf. If you wanted to present a culture which acknowledged the practical necessity of only saving children who will one day be able to physically contribute in an equal sense, they would work very well for it. With the orc example, it's a valuation of a girl only for her reproductive capacity, which is a totally different cultural concept.

Like Veridis Quo said, it's not supporting it in real life. Hell, I've used this argument as one of the reasons I value technological progress and wealth accumulation, since the surplus allows us to ensure that a person isn't valued by how much labour they will provide. And the fact that they do have a culture with established institutions, such as universities, implies that the scarcity aspect of their culture no longer exists. So, is it a remnant of an earlier ages? Are there people advocating against it? Did Milov face a backlash from conservative clan-leaders for saving Katya? What happens if she flips out and kills someone, attributed to her being a "runt"? It could have been an interesting story to write. Just not by Mookie obviously.
I don't think anybody is supporting child murder. I'm just surprised this doesn't create a fraction the negative emotion the orc culture does.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
Mookie's a professional webcomic artist. Even if he went to college, he clearly wasn't paying attention.

I kid, but seriously, I'm pretty sure most of his college experience comes from watching Revenge of the Nerds and Animal House. Or his clearly traumatic high school memories.
Maybe he went to a very, very bad college?