1. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Metallic Perfection (3.5 Template and Feats, PEACH)

@The-Mage-King: Thanks a lot for that too, Mage King! I noticed that, when I'm homebrewing too much stuff at once, my creative side takes too much of my brain's processing power, and the part that takes care of all the writing suffers It's good having someone to revise these things, thanks for that

@Solaris: Indeed. This template is mostly to be applied to monsters, and even outside of Mirrodin you could have a "metallized" creature with a completely different, easily explainable origin. But you can't discount the fact that Mirrodin does have metal-skinned humanoids, and SR could be detrimental to the gameplay, even though this value is fairly benign. Regardless, short of Darksteel-covered creatures, Mirran creatures don't seem to be specially resistant to magic, so thankfully this isn't an issue.

@toapat: You know, some creature enhancement involving Darksteel was actually the first thought I had The problem, however, is mainly mechanical. While in MtG you do have ways to kill Darksteel creatures, however awkward, in D&D you'd have to resort mainly to "save or die" effects (and make the SR not apply to those). That's why I came up with all the "D&D metals" stuff: even if those don't really exist, or at least are never mentioned, in MtG, they are quite relevant in a D&D environment.

Thinking about it now, though, even if Darksteel can't be directly ported, maybe it can be adapted... A chain of feats that gives some big DR/darksteel and an SR that applies only to directly damaging effects, and a new, extremely expensive, material for weapons and armors (and constructs!), while not a direct translation of the "real" Darksteel, might do the trick. A Darksteel Golem would still be a terrifying sight, but at least it would be defeatable without bending the game rules. Hmmmm... That just might work, though I'll have to consider if this overlaps with the Adamantine feats too much. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Larkas; 2012-04-08 at 09:51 AM.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.