Quote Originally Posted by fusilier View Post
I'll let those with more experience weigh in, but I was under the impression that disengaging from hand-to-hand combat is difficult, without some comrade to cover you. I would imagine that if your primary weapon arm is injured it would become even more difficult. Running involves turning your back, and hoping that you're faster than your opponent (or he doesn't bother to chase).
This is more a psychology debate that has to do with the fact that the goal of combat isn't necessarily about killing. Roman Gadiator matches were rarely to the death since owners didn't want to lose their investments (and probably one of the reasons their armor was designed to avoid potentially crippling limb injuries). In duels if your opponent has clearly been defeated or is running off then you've defended your honor, you've proven you were the better man so there generally isn't much reason to finish your opponent off.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "most casualties are people being stabbed in the back as they flee" theory. A person in flight is still dangerous, from the perspective of a warrior who is concerned about staying alive do you hold your ground and accept victory or do you give chase and risk some lucky strike ending it all?