Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
There's also the matter that while yes, Fire Nation warriors can swim, it's not so easy to swim to safety when you're in freezing ocean water, you have heavy metal armor on, and there's no land for quite some distance.
I'd have to check, but IIRC they were very close to land. The fight that follows is where Sokka looses his sword, and that was over land. Those super-zeps are also shown to be extremely slow, so they wouldn't have gone far in the time in between.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
That's to say nothing of Koizilla Aang chopping battleships in half or swamping them with tidal waves, either.
That wasn't Aang, that was the avatar state combined with the spirit of the sea. We know that the Avatar as a whole can be bloodthirsty - indeed, the previous air Avatar was quite willing to kill.

The other killing actions by the rest of the team I'll grant you: Sokka and Katara certainly aren't as pacifist as Aang. Not so sure about Aang dropping the normal zeps, though - he merely punctures them, they might have had enough air for a semi-controlled fall similar to that of the Boiling Rock (compared to Katara's sliced-the-bag-in-half move).

A better example was mentioned earlier: the tanks that he dislodges during the Air Temple attack would not have been in any way designed to drop, unlike aerial vehicles which could have had something off-screen. I suspect, though, that if shown, they would all hit conveniently deep snow drifts.

Grey Wolf