View Single Post

Thread: LGBTAitP Part 23: Et tu, ~Bianca?

1. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP Part 23: Et tu, ~Bianca?

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Is there anything to suggest that the Day of Silence actually does something or is it more of a feel-good exercise?
    That's not a very nice way to put it! I assume it's an awareness raising thing, since the idea is you go about your normal life (to class or whatever), just silently and people might then think "Oh, people who aren't straight might feel like they have to be silent around me. I should be a better ally." or "As a closeted bisexual, it makes me feel supported to know that X is such a strong supporter of LGBT+ rights that they'll stay silent for a whole day to make that point." or whatever. I don't know if there are statistics that show any particular concrete effect, but every little helps!

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I think I tasted some at some point when somebody had a baby and there was somebody's milk in the fridge for feeding the baby when the mother was asleep. (This is a good idea for mothers who like to sleep occasionally!)
    It's a bit weird to taste when you're no longer a baby/small child, but it's not unpleasant. Just unusual, considering we don't taste it often if at all. But yes, it's definitely more palatable (and obviously more healthy) than formulas are.
    I read that as you sneaking the milk while the mother was asleep and I was like "Uh, Nope, you should probably not steal baby-milk. They need that stuff!".

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Frog View Post

I'm somewhat skeptical about acupuncture myself, but I never looked at it this way before. Putting aside the whole chi/meridians thing, I just thought that putting needles into your skin was supposed to stimulate...some kind of physiological quality, whether that's blood flow or what have you.
    Could easily stimulate blood flow or some such. Question is, is that helpful or neutral (or harmful, but I doubt it)?

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    It has to be three-dimensional somehow. I'm picturing two parallel scales running from zero to ten. One measures attraction to male-bodied people, and the other attraction to female-bodied people. One fills in the two bars up to wherever they want. No answer means asexual, "pure" androphilic would be 10 on the male-bodied scale, "pure" gynophilic would be 10 on the female-bodied scale, and "pure" bisexual would be 10 on both. Somebody who's bi but tends to prefer men might put a 10 on the male-bodied scale and a 6 on the female-bodied scale. That's about as complex as anything needs to be. Thoughts? (I'm not trying to exclude pansexuals or any other groups; I just threw this thought together in a few seconds and don't know how to fit them in or if they even need to be a separate scale.)
    I was thinking x and y, so a plane. (0,0) being asexual, then y-axis being "attracted to men" and x-axis being "attracted to women". Very simplistic. Then you could add z-axis for more complexity. And you could track through time by having a line or a curve rather than a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    From what I understand, acupuncture has been shown to have some benefits to health, but I'll need to find the artcile about it.

And nothing can be better than a pot of proper milk vanilla ice cream. Yum <3
    Agreed on the icecream! I understand acupuncture has been recognised by the WHO for helping with certain conditions, including fatigue, so that suggests it has been proven to match or exceed placebo results for those conditions. I don't know if it's better than anyone who invites you to a special soothing room, asks you about your health problems, assures you they will apply their skills to your particular issue, gets you to lie down and does something difficult-seeming for them and relaxing for you. I don't know how _good_ a placebo they're measuring against, or how much better acupuncture was than their placebo. I would certainly believe it would beat a hastily dispensed sugar pill, I have my doubts of its chances against something more along the lines of what I described!

A man I know tells me his father, unable to go under anaesthetic due to allergy problems, had an acupuncture practitioner fly in from China (they're Swiss, apparently this was covered by their insurance. Wow!) and isolate a nerve in his neck and stick a needle in it so his arm went totally numb and they could do surgery on his shoulder. That seems beyond placebo!

Edit:
    I talk too much, it takes too long for me to make my posts. My headache isn't helping!
    Last edited by KenderWizard; 2012-04-20 at 12:34 PM.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me