Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
I'm curious. How does it make the Reaper threat worthless? They already pretty much nuked the entire galaxy. Only by your efforts that they are stopped. Who are we to deny those that put in more effort so that they can have their happy ending?

Cliche endings =/= bad endings. Similarly, !art ending =/= good.
I'm actually pretty fine with tiered endings, but if they do it then it needs to be removed from dependency on multiplayer, so that personal choices actually matter. It should be possible (just hard) for both Renegades and Paragons to reach the best ending within the game and not have to fiddle around in multiplayer or make one super special playthrough that gets maximum points without putting any thought in your own decisions.

The one problem with it as I see is that there is no ending choice, which is particularly odd since choice is one of the defining aspects of the game.

There are aspects of the ending choice that I actually like (I know blasphemous), the idea that destroying Reaper tech would destroy all Reaper tech (including Geth and Mass Relays) I think is actually clever. If it was explained in a reasonable way, which it most definitely wasn't. There needed to be some closure on that big decision so that we see we're not dooming the galaxy, and having a creator say on Twitter "no everyone's alright guys honestly" does not count. Now that synthesis or control destroys the Mass Relays makes less sense and isn't explained at all, and that is utter crap.

Personally what I think would be interesting is: 1) Giving the Reaper's a decent purpose that makes sense and isn't countered by events in the game. The giant space wedgie of dark matter could work, but honestly I think it's a bit cliched. 2) Have the options be "destroy Reaper tech" which would put the galaxy back a good deal, but it will be shown that the races survive, just struggle, and that the Reaper's mission is a failure with Shepard hoping that the current races will come up with their own solution, and the other option be send the Reapers back to essentially skip a cycle. This leaves the galaxy much better off, and makes rebuilding after the war much easier. But the Reaper threat exists with the knowledge that if the current races do not solve the big problem the Reapers will be back to do their job.

Now mind you, this is just me putting about 10 minutes thought into it, so it would probably has some fundamental flaw I'm not noticing.