Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
Well, there are ways around miss chance as well, so your argument goes both ways.
To my knowledge these ways include True Seeing (or Illusion Purge, but who casts that?) and Pierce Magical Concealment. Please enlighten me if there are more ways.

In the case of True Seeing, you're either facing a demon or a caster. I agree that miss chances are useless in a demon-heavy game, but I'd call that a corner case. And if you're facing a caster with 6th level spells, True Seeing is just one of many, many things you have to worry about.

In the case of Pierce Magical Concealment, I'd have to say the mage slayer line is also somewhat niche. If it isn't, then there's also Pierce Magical Protection, making both AC and miss chances null and void for the gish. At that point you just have to kill him first.

It's so much easier for magical characters to pump AC that I usually focus on them in AC discussions. But, as Son of Zeal points out, mundanes don't have such luxuries, so they may wish to pump AC because it's the least bad option. The thing about mundanes is that they usually have to spend most of their resources granting relevant offense, so that too many resources spent on defense leads to the "ignore the monk" problem. I suppose I could be reminded of that multi-templated stony swordsage - IIRC it had pretty decent AC and attacks - but again the concept behind such a build seems very niche. IME, when it hits the fan, the main defenses of the mundane meleer against attack rolls are, in order:
(1) Killing them before they kill you
(2) Enemies targeting the caster
(3) Oodles of HP

YMMV, of course.