Quote Originally Posted by joca4christ View Post

Right now, the party is just now verging into level 2, so they need some backup healing. Once they get some more experience under there belt, I will probably pull back on the cleric.

Besides, plotwise, it make sense for the cleric to be with them. (they were hired by his temple to investigate kidnappings, and they kind of kept him from being beat up.) I think, unless the new player WANTS to be a healer type, I will wait until the end of this "chapter" before removing him from play.
I agree it makes sense for the first chapter, there are several encounters that could end up TPK so having the priest stick around to monitor the rescue could be a life saver.
Also as you mention it adds to the roleplay and allows them to interact more with Jenya and co.
By the time they finish this chapter i would expect them to be 3rd level and they should be able to afford a wand of CLW.
The priest could attend to other duties but could possibly be available to help if you find a player cant turn up to a session or to assist with a rescue at a later date.