True, but the people in the world are rarely black - such that they're token examples, such as Dynaheir and Valygar from the Baldur's Gate trilogy, if they even appear at all. T209 makes a fair point, I think. That said, a lot of it has to do with setting. The whole melting pot philosophy, where race isn't considered equivalent to nationality, is a fairly modern idea. Even today it isn't fully matured or integrated into society. Fantasy games are usually representative of eras where any racial intermingling in the real world was the result of conquest, such as the Moors in Spain. Even the Elder Scrolls games display that mindset - the Empire itself pays little attention to race, but the splinter factions (the Thalmor and Stormcloaks, but also the Ashlanders of Morrowind) almost exclusively define themselves by it.

On a completely different topic, I was just looking to start up a fresh game of Skyrim. (Quinn, a Breton arcane monk who specializes in fisticuffs and magic.) As I was trying to pick out the stable of followers I might use this time around, it got me wondering what were the most popular ones. So I want to ask: What followers are your favorites (modded or vanillia)?

Here are mine. I image some of them will be pretty common choices. I tend towards the female followers - not only do I find them to be more interesting, the modding community does more to make them even more so.
Spoiler
Show

Lydia - One of the few followers that actually has a place in the story itself. As a housecarl, she's a tank and quite effective, but also easy on the eyes and ears. Given her relative importance, however, she has a lot of bugs tied to her...

Aela - A lot like Lydia, Aela's a fairly pleasing lass. Unlike Lydia, however, she's a stealthy sort who is very good with bows, light weapons, and light armor. Of course, not every dragonborn is a match for the Companions, which can easily lock her away if you're a roleplayer.

Illia - Very powerful, but also pretty bugged, this reforming witch has a lot of frost magic backing her up. Of course, frost magic isn't a great option for fighting undead or half the dragons, but most of the time enemies fall quickly and bristling with icicles. Probably one of the more interesting followers in the game, backstory-wise, but the bugs make her hard to keep around for long.

Mjoll - I can never tell whether I'm fascinated with the Lioness's constant commentary or annoyed by it. The fact that you can't recruit her until you're in the mid-teens is also slightly annoying, albeit only slightly. She's a great combatant and an outspoken companion, though.

Farkas - It's a pity he's so bugged. Farkas has got to be one of the coolest guys in Skyrim - powerful, friendly, and loyal. A bit simple, but completely okay with that. Unfortunately his class and AI keep telling him he's two very different things, rather curtailing his effectiveness.

Cicero - Never played him myself - I always destroy the brotherhood, my brother always sides with them. His voice and style are very interesting, and his re-introduction as a recruitable follower is priceless ("Just screwing with ya!") Not worth becoming a nihilistic murderer for, however.

Faendal - I don't really like Faendal any more than Sven, but at least the bosmer is useful - both as a trainer and an archer. I usually take him with me after the Golden Claw, and then leave him to flirt with his girl.

The Dogs - The dogs rock, especially if you have a mod that makes them essential. It's just a pity Vigilance isn't yours, Stray is unreliable, Barbas is annoying, and Meeko is hamstrung by a low level cap.