Quote Originally Posted by sol_kanar View Post
During today's session, we had a doubt, and we were not able to solve it in a completely satisfying way, so I am asking you for help. When summoning more than a monster with the Summon Monster ability, how can the Summoner place the creatures?
It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn.
you can summon one creature from the 2nd-level list or 1d3 creatures of the same kind from the 1st-level list.
Nothing in the language of the spell/SLA (that I could find, anyway) says anything about placing multiple creatures. This is also true for Summon Minor Monster or Summon Swarm (which is a single unit anyway).

Because nothing specifically allows you to place the multiple creatures where you want, you default to the original spell. For that reason, I would say that, when summoning multiples, you decide on one square, and they all have to get as close to that square as possible.

The other option that I might consider (if given a bottle of single malt) is that the player decides, when casting the spell, where all the summons will go, within the range of the spell, or within 30 feet. After rolling to see how many creatures are summoned, I would roll again to see which of those were not summoned. (there is no language that the creatures are summoned one at a time, so the character is attempting to summon them all at the same time. If only two show up, it should be random as to which two)

On a side note, when things like this come up, I'd let everyone weigh in on what the rule should be, and if there is a difference of opinion, agree on the percent chance for each interpretation, roll the dice, and use that rule until a third party (smarter people than me at the playground) weigh in.