I suppose that the flat-out reduction for resistance would make a little more sense.

i was also thinking of making armor resistance a static number.

originally, i was thinking that when you rolled the dice to determine the resistance, it would simulate direct blows vs. glancing blows.

but now that I think about it, that's what the attacker's Power roll is for. high Power roll is for a direct hit, while a low power roll is for a weak hit that just bounces right off. i suppose that's true for damage as well. if you roll high on both Power and Damage, you struck a powerful blow, and if you do poorly on both, you didn't do anything.

making Power static instead of variable reduces the dice per turn to 5: 4 for the attacker (or less, if they fail on aim or power) and one for the defender (if they can dodge it)

I see what' you're saying about the commander's spells.

however, I don't really consider 'Will' a material.
I plan on having ten physical materials that all weapons and armor will be made out of:
Fire, Ice, Steel, Cloth, Carapace, Crystal, Energy, Wood, Stone, and Skin.

each will be strong against specific materials, and others will be weak against specific materials (which pretty much comes into play for criticals. attacking something that's weak against your attack type means that you have a good chance of crit., and it means that you can bypass the damage reduction stage altogether, and deal the damage directly)

The mental spells (mostly for Acolytes and its child classes) will have to use some other mechanism.

As far as initiative: I'm trying to come up with something that is cumulative: where players with greater speed will be able to take more turns than the slow players.

basically: a character with a speed of 2 will take less turns than a character with a speed of three, as determined by the ratio. do you see what i'm saying?