Quote Originally Posted by Stubbazubba View Post
OK, and which basics are those? The Hit Dice mechanic is different from what they said when they revealed it (d4s for Wizard or d6s? That's kind of important), the Rogue's class abilities are completely a game of Convince-the-DM, as are all skills right now, even the basic math of the attack roll doesn't seem to be derived in a consistent fashion. The Advantage/Disadvantage thing, I suppose, is relatively consistent, but they could have done that in a blog, not an entire playtest document. What am I supposed to give them feedback on?
Not the underlying mechanics, but things like "do these chars feel D&Desque", and "do these chars work against these opponents".

Like I said, I'm going to run the chars through the dungeon, then run through parties composed of copies of one char, and see how they fare. This should give a pretty good idea of the balance of THESE CHARS. Does this say anything about the balance of wizard vs fighter at higher levels? Of course not. That comes later. But making sure you've got good baselines at level 1 is primary. If the game fails at level 1, it's kind of useless.