View Single Post

Thread: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

1. - Top - End - #888
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Now I'm curious on the other image...
    As long as it's not *too* much, you should post it.
    Heh. Now, whether or not it's "too much" is an interestink metzaphysical qvestion. The best way to describe the thing that goes on with Cherry Pop now is a "creative challenge to concoct the most suggestive image that isn't actually explicit". Needless to say, I'm rather not very creative in that regard. We haven't yet thought up anything better than this image though, that wouldn't break the few rules we'd established for it. Meaning, nothing explicit, no "props" or apparel, just the character.

I'd post it, it's not really anything special, but so as not to chance needlessly attracting moderators for a trivial reason, I'll just tell you how to get to it. Take any image I've posted (or even my avatar) and substitute the filename in its URL for 260512_CherryPop2color.png. Much ado about nothing, I suppose, but since even that first Cherry Pop image I posted was deemed suggestive enough to politely ask me to remove it from my thread on Canterlot forums (and/or move it to the 18+ section they have), I'd rather take precautions.

(edit: I suddenly wonder how much these concerns are even warranted considering we've got naked people sketches here already, but oh well. Somebody look at it and tell me if I can just post it.)

edit2:New thing/experiment for today.
    I've tried to determine the size of the ponies in relation to a typical human. (i.e. ideal-proportion 180cm-high human) The chart's in the image too, but I'm including the thought process behind it for clarity, so you don't have to read my scribbles.
    Image, for screen stretchiness:
    Spoiler
    Show

Link and text:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

The first consideration was that the ponies would look best, to us, and would have the least trouble fitting in, if their heads were roughly the same size as human heads. Altering the show design slightly, so that the pony stands at a somewhat more believable 3.5 heads rather than 2.5, we still get a pony that's roughly the size of a large dog. Hm. Well, handy at least. Perfect for children. I guess they aren't called "My Little Ponies" for nothing.
    Then, Celestia I always for some reason saw as being roughly twice as high as the main characters, though it's largely inconsistent in the show. Sometimes her back is higher than the characters' heads, sometimes not... it's hard to tell, so I went with the "twice the height" notion, mostly because it allowed to put Celestia at a respectable 7 heads' height, quite enough to look into most humans' eyes, and to make them shield said eyes from her menacing horn.
    So, a typical human being put at 180cm (and a typical skull size being, appropriately, roughly 23cm), we get the sizes for the "common" ponies and Celestia. Specifically, 80-something centimeters for a pony, with some variation, and roughly double that for Celestia. Whatever the in-universe evidence to the contrary, this is currently my "headcanon".

(yes, I understand that Twilight there should technically be rather larger, if show proportions to Celestia are to be kept more faithfully, but that'd require altering proportions further towards realistic)
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-05-29 at 05:59 AM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!