Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post

Suppose you're playing 3.5 and say "I bull rush the orc, trying to push it off the cliff". You know exactly what will happen if you win the opposed roll, and exactly what will happen if you lose. And now, just for a moment, imagine that you really ARE on that cliff. Forget the game rules. Imagine that within reason (the laws of physics and magic in this world), ANYTHING can happen.
In 3.5 there is unpredictability, though it is governed by the dice rather then the GM. In your bull rush example, dependant on how much you beat the orc you push him back a certain distance.

If you don't have the improved bull rush feat, he can take a AoO, and if the GM is crafty enough he could have tried to grapple the PC so that they fall together.

The point is that rules for common situations allow the GM more freedom and impartiallity. You don't have to make a GM decision on the spot, that may or may not be impartial. If you know the rules you can adapt them to the situation at hand, and resolve the action within the rules.

When you have (well designed) rules, I find that you get more immersed in the role play. You are more aware of what your character can and cannot do, and resolving actions is not a magical tea party, but you as a player choosing course dependant on what your character can do.

I don't think that there should be a rule for every situation that could come up, but there should be rules for common situations adventurers could find themselves in. Even better there should be a system of guidelines to resolve things the rules do not cover.