1. - Top - End - #1361
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition - Now your playing with Playtests!

Something I've pondered recently regarding the fighter / wizard disparity ...

It seems to me that when a typical vancian wizard levels up and gets new spell slots they effectively get new "ability slots" (to use a generic term) and get to pick from a list that is rather vast and varied in both potency and variety.

Yet when a fighter levels up they might get a single additional "ability slot" (aka feat) and get to pick from a much shorter list that is far less varied in both potency and variety.

When I started thinking about the fighter / wizard disparity like this it became a forehead smacker moment for me that, duh, the wizard gets way more "ability slots" than the fighter over their careers and the things they can fill those slots with are vastly different in variety and potency. I never before really equated spell slots and lists of potential spells with feats and lists of potential feats. I feel pretty dumb for not equating the two.

I think this is what fourth edition TRIED to even out but unfortunately their implementation left a lot to be desired.

I wish WotC luck with fifth edition. I really do.
    Last edited by Kerrin; 2012-06-01 at 03:10 PM.
    Frolic and dance for joy often.
    Be determined in your ventures.
    -KAB