Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower View Post
Is that any help?
Yes, thanks. I mean, basically, I'm the kind of guy who would just throw it all out the window and have bad things happen because the bad guy has SAND IN HIS SHOES, and it's really nice to have- really- any input on the matter. I get that this is written with the concept of playing the pregens more in mind than other seasons, but I just don't think that folks from this corner of the internet will find a game where they can't build their own characters to be that interesting. Maybe I'll just go with an "Each character must be at least one of the following: Elf, Eladrin, Half-Elf, Arcane Power Source," thing, I think that would leave a lot of options open while still keeping some of the intended story implications around. Or would that too easily violate some of the setting's fluff?

I do want to clarify a bit on the skill with some text, though.
Spoiler
Show

One or more adventurers use social skills to negotiate their release by visiting with the village elders.
Primary Skills: Diplomacy, Insight.
[... DCs ...]
Secondary Skills: Bluff.
[... DCs, other options ...]

Gathering Gear
Regardless of the outcome of the skill challenge, the adventurers get away and meet up outside the village. They must now retrieve their gear. If they failed at the skill challenge, the halflings have been alerted.
That's really what it says, the adventurers get away. And, to be completely honest, looking at it again, yes, it is a combat that I want to replace entirely. I mean, if you're going to throw a battle at the party where they lose all their stuff and have to regain it, yes, low levels are where you want to do it, but this is already a good way in to the campaign and they've acquired a few Dark Sun friendly magical items by now. Well, I guess I wanted to get in to making my own encounters sometime.