The Question

Kate's face and tone grows dark. "She's a fighter. That girl's been through Hell and back, and has come through it more or less whole. I have an idea what she's going through - she's not the only person to find their mother's body. But she's had it worse than me. I had the Colonel. He was my bedrock when everything threatened to tumble down. He's supported all my decisions, and I've tried to never let the man down."

"That's who she wants you to be, Katherine. Who she needs you to be. She's never had someone she can count on - her father had dreams of being the next Nigma, and she was playing mother to her mother. That's a lot of responsibility for anyone, and she's not even old enough to vote. She needs someone who she can rely on, a shoulder to cry on when she's hurt, and someone who will make her feel safe."

"If she's keeping something from you, you'll figure it out soon enough. You're a damn good detective, you'll put the pieces together. What makes you think she's got a death wish?" Kate's brow furrows with concern for Steph.