View Single Post

Thread: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

1. - Top - End - #924
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Kicks thread.
    Well, work is over for me and the summer indulgence has begun. So I'll be drawing more often and participating in this here thread and trying to make useful comments. Once a day draw just like the old days just like I tried before.

Late responses are late, but I wanted to respond to some stuff anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    On your Tropius pic, everything looks very dark to me. I know it's a night time scene, but brightening the city lights, and maybe adding some highlights to the far side of the ponies/tropius would help make things stand out a bit more.
    You heard'em, let's light this city up!

Spoiler
    Show

Late reaction pic is late,

Spoiler
    Show

Link

A doodle of a women with a tommy gun! And a Rattata head! Because, light up the city leads to the tommy gun and the noise leads to the Rattata and... Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    I don't think it would be a problem to post it, as long as you label the spoiler. Canterlot mods are rather strict (overly so sometimes, if you ask me) because the site is open to all ages, and there are several younger users there. I recently got a warning for posting this comic, which I didn't think was suggestive at all, but contains mention of boobs. :/
    It mentions boobs! Burn! Burn it with fire! Think of the children!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Hm. I've hit a bit of a conundrum. On one hand, I should post the thing I made today as proof that I made it. On the other hand, what I've made today isn't something I should be posting, let along making. The options seem to be to either post it anyway, or quickly cook up something innocent-looking and post that.
    To respond to all your more suggestive work, I can't say that I'm personally that interested in seeing ponies in such position(s), but censuring something so light seems kind of a bit much. Regardless, they look nice.
    And that was some nice Cherry Pop! The drink I mean! The drink!

But how often *do* you get these type of requests?

Day-before-yesterday's Rikki Tikki 'Tavia sketch, if you haven't been around Ponythread to see it:
    Spoiler
    Show

Link
    I luv that story! Nice one!
    Could you be presuaded to revist it, but from a more dynamic angle?

Today, I drew a pie chart.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link
    I tried to add a front view to the chart, but either something's fundamentally wrong here, or I am worse at drawing projections than I thought. I lean towards the latter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link
    It's just nowhere near as pretty as it's supposed to be...
    On proportions, the neck is too long. I know you said that ponies evolved from grazers, so the neck should be able to reach down and munch on those grasses. But it's still aesthetically too long, a long neck is just not as cute as a short one. A long neck and a large head, even less so.
    Cartoon and cute aesthetics say that a shorter neck would look much better. And remember, ponies aren't designed just from horses, but foals (Google image examples,1, 2). Maximizing the cute. Which have shorter necks then they do have legs and have to spread their forelegs to eat very short grasses. And bodies which are not as long as mature horses. That's why even if the show proportions are cartoony and abstract, they still look nice and cute and somewhat correct.

On the mechanics side, the neck would have to be a lot more muscular to support the large head anyway. A shorter (foal proportions) neck would work better.

On the sci-fi evolutionary side, I do not see why the ancient proto-ponies have had to come from grassland grazers specifically. Perhaps unlike equestrians on earth, they are less specialized to survive in a grassland environment, eating leaves on both shrubs and grasses, thus removing the need for a neck which is as long as their legs (they can always spread the forelegs to chew on the grass), remember, deer and related grazers also have shorter neck to leg ratio, in matter of fact, perhaps Pinkie's prancing/bounce means that ancient proto-ponies were a mixture of horse/deer, jumping over fallen logs and uneven ground in a forest like environments as well as grassland, this would explain why a longer neck and longer body would be a bad idea. And overtime, instead of evolving toward modern earth horses or deers or some other specialized herbivore they instead started to evolve higher intelligence and magic. Their larger heads and brains making a long neck a impossible adaption, and their necks even shortening a bit to support the head.

Day 61-66, or "I'll post more! Don't go slow pony art thread!"!

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Well, this one is far, far behind the deadline, but I cleaned it up a bit (But it needs some more cleaning) and I added the highlights today.
    Things I learned:
    I was having a lot of trouble with the highlights. Clean, or simple, highlights like I generally used just didn't work right. Then today it accorded to me that the characters were in a foggy bay and the light source was actually composed of multiple smaller lights. Naturally the reflective highlights on the characters had to be somewhat disjointed to take note of this effect. I'm not sure how good it looks, but it looks better then it did with the other highlights, so yay I guess. Still, I think I went a bit overboard on Citrus's leaf hair highlights, will have to play with it.
    Also I learned that clean up is a pain, but useful and fun.
    I want to finish this one by Friday so I can get back to my AJ pic. And then back to Samurai Equestria.

Also I was coloring faces! Historical-light faces!

Long live King Uther Arthur William Alfred Richard, actually never mind.

Spoiler
    Show

Link

I'm somewhat pleased with this one as it was a coloring experiment, the very brownish red color scheme I seeded off a Byzantium fresco(?) especially for the face, so I can't claim I did it from memory. Still, it taught me a lot, so yay. Facial structure is off, but that's a work in progress. Same as the next one. They are not supposed to look realistic, still cartoony/abstract. But still, they aren't supposed to look like this off either! I need to work on that.

Spoiler
    Show

Link

This other one of Alexander is more boo, but whatever, I'll post it anyway. This one I tried approaching it using more white like the background it is on, but I don't think it turned out too well. I'll try again later. And the expression is horrible, I need to work on more open mouth type facial expressions. As well as everything else.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-06-12 at 06:57 PM.