1. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition: the fifth edition of the discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by The J
    Rogue: Seriously…just fireball the whole damn room. It’ll be wondrous.
    Wizzie: I don’t have fireball.
    Rogue: Huh?
    Wizzie: I. Don’t. Have. Fireball.
    Rogue: Yeah I heard you the first time. What do you mean you don’t have fireball? What kind of wizard doesn’t have fireball?
    Wizzie: Maybe next level?
    Rogue: What does that even mean?
    DM: Screw it. Just say you have it.
    Wizzie: No. Seriously. It’s not in the play test.
    Whole group: WHAT?!?

At which point we all stared blankly at the spell sheet and wondered how that didn’t make the cut. Cure Light Wounds. Turn/Rebuke Undead. Magic Missile. Shocking Grasp. NO FIREBALL!!!!!!!
    Which leads to me to question something about the spells they selected. The wizard doesn't have fireball or equivalent (technically it's always been a level 3 spell anyway so fair enough). But the cleric ofPelor has the sunburst spell which does 2d8 + 3 damage to everything withing 10 feet of you. On top of that, it lasts until the start of your next turn so any enemies that were within range and survive take even more damage when their turn starts. That's pretty lethal for a level 2 spell - and kind of surprising for a cleric to have that kind of damage output.

Especially strange since the cleric of Moradin only gets the battle psalm spell which makes everyone in the party do +2 damage. Not really balanced.
    Last edited by holywhippet; 2012-06-14 at 11:29 PM.