I know how you feel. I rather liked it, but all my friends thought it was the best thing ever. It's okay for other people to like things that you dislike or dislike things that you like, but sometimes it does get annoying hearing their opinions.

I also found Scott somewhat unlikeable, but that didn't bother me. And while some of a lot of the jokes fell flat for me, there were a lot more that worked.

The comic-book-y, video-game-y, and weird editing gave the whole thing a kind of unreal atmosphere. Tvtropes described it as "video games realism" (after the "magical realism" style) which I thought was particularly apt.
I liked how it sometimes managed to be ridiculous and deadpan at the same time. Like the scene where Scott is trying to escape from his apartment, or at the first battle of the bands, when Ramona explains her relationship with the first Ex. The fight stops, the spotlight focuses on her and the entire building seems to pay attention, and she comes forward and tells the story. It's ridiculous, but rather earnest.

I also liked the little Canadian touches, Pizza Pizza, Sealtest milk, the enemies bursting into loonies and toonies, and "They make movies in Toronto?"

But yeah, I can see what you mean, if you were expecting it to be like Sean of the Dead or Hot Fuzz it would be a real let down.