"Oh yes, something happened to the old Burgomaster," the man says bitterly. "Strahd happened. My father was a young man, barely graying around his temples, and now he lies dead, these past ten days. Our count, or one of the creatures or men he employs killed him!" He sighs and drains the rest of his wine. "He died before the plague began, thank Light, but my sister is now trapped in our house standing vigil over his body, lest the infection manage to raise him."

The young man seems suddenly startled, as though he just realized he forgot to extinguish his cooking fire before leaving home. "Forgive me, master August, for my rudeness. I do not have my father's skill at leadership, and yet the villagers assume I will govern them. The last week has not been easy.

"I am Ismark Kolyavich, son of Kolyan Indirovich.

"You wanted to know about Strahd too, correct? He is a demon, and his power is such that few have ever defied him. My father did, with a relic passed down to him since before Strahd came to this place: the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind. Strahd came to our house. Heaven knows why. My father drove him off with the Symbol, and the next morning my father was dead of poison. That night the attacks began."