Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
RANT APROPOS OF NOTHING
Spoiler
Show
As an aside, the reason why I objected so strongly to Agatha, Goddess of Science, is that it was such a transparent New Powers as Plot Demands that would never be used again. Considering that drinking the Dyne is supposed to have random (and usually lethal) effects it seems absurd that the Guardians of the Heterodynes would subject Agatha to it unless they were pretty sure they knew how it worked. And if it always works that way, why not use it more often?

The worst thing about that sequence is that it was used to solve a problem that had only just be introduced. The Foglios could have cut out that entire sequence and lost nothing in the story. By far the sloppiest storytelling I've seen them do
I would somewhat disagree, at least as regards to
Spoiler
Show
the effect of Dyne water on Heterodynes combined with electrical shock. It would appear both der Kestel and Higgs know it will empower and amplify a Heterodyne; although der Kestel apparently forgot this can reach a point that results in spontaneous Heterodyne explosion. And in Agatha's case, right then, they knew that was what was needed, because she, Gil, and Tarvek needed a massive influx of energy to survive, and the only option was to artificially boost Agatha's. I doubt they will voluntarily do so again because Agatha came very close to blowing up; but whether this was bad story telling or foreshadowing will depend on whether she HAS to do the same thing again at some point to save the day.

We'll have to wait and see...