Quote Originally Posted by SDF
The problem with the film was that it didn't develop the motivations for the characters. Knives wasn't all, "Oh hey, you should dump me. I'm totally cool with that." She really wasn't. Scott was an airhead in the comics, but there was a reason for it. Both Scott and the audience were able to like Ramona for being more than the hot alt girl in the comics because she was developed. In the film there is no reason for us to like her or want her and Scott to be together. I like how they handled the extra life thing in the film, and the bass battle was totes epic. I still enjoyed the film a lot. It was just shallower than the comic, and thats almost fitting in a generational statement way.
QFT. You'll likely enjoy the movie a lot more if you read the comics first, because the characters are much better developed in the comics. It makes them much more understandable and likeable in the movie because you'll know all the motivations and character depth that wasn't explored.

Personally, there were a few things I didn't like about the movie. Like how Envy and Kim's roles were reduced to almost nothing, the fact that they didn't do Last Song Kills Audience and I didn't like the new ending so much. But overall I thought it was a pretty good depiction of the comics.