1. - Top - End - #1197
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery VIII (spoilers ahoy!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    Thinking about it, it looks likely Rich is house-ruling that it's somehow easier to create mummies from dried-out corpses ("a relatively rare resource") than from fresh ones.

Edit: that's what I get for posting C&LG before reading the main thread. Per the Giant:
    Actually, I think he could still be using existing mummified well-preserved bodies as a modification to the regular spell. Unlike animate dead, which has been used quite often, create undead's spell description states it has a one hour casting time and can only be cast at night. Six mummies would require six hours, usually. It was day before they entered the pyramid and we can clearly see light outside the window in panel four. As far as I know, a scroll uses the original casting time if it is longer than a standard action.

Malack could conceivably have a magic item which casts the spell and allows for a shorter casting time. It wouldn't be his staff, though, as that kind of magic item also requires the spell's casting time if longer than a standard action.

Then again, when Tsukiko made a ghoul, it was (probably) a standard action.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2012-06-21 at 01:46 PM.
    I'm the ranger
    Killing a scarab

- The Cure Light Wounds
    from Three Illusion (Figment) Boys
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    And make no mistake, the real couter-argument to the idea that any wavering from historical demographic verisimilitude needs to be explained... is Roy.
    As an author, stooping to provide an explanation for any of those things in the story is to tacitly acknowledge the belief that they are Other that have no business being in the story without a good reason. And **** that.