Quote Originally Posted by Subzero008 View Post
I haven't played DnD at ALL, so can someone explain why the mummies are so dangerous? I mean, can't Roy just smash them with his green-glowing-sword-of doom?

Also, what do the words in white above the mummies mean?The undead can't talk, after all...?
Well, the mummies aren't super-dangerous, but they are a bit stronger and harder to kill than ordinary zombies.

They also have a "despair" ability which can cause characters who fail a Will save to be paralyzed with fear for a short period of time. Since Will saves depend partly on Wisdom scores, and both Belkar and Elan likely have rock bottom Wisdom, there's a chance they might flunk their saves and end up being useless for part of the fight (well, even more useless for Elan).

Every hit by them can also possibly cause Mummy Rot, a supernatural curse that causes a character to rapidly disintegrate if they don't get a Remove Curse cast on them, followed by a Cure Disease spell. With six mummies, there's a good chance that a few saving throws will be flunked, and if that's the case, Durkon will either be taken out of the fight casting Remove Curse and Cure Disease, or he'll keep fighting and let one or more teammates rot away to dust and blow away in the wind.

Because high level characters are so deadly, they'll likely take out the mummies before these worst case scenarios happen. But the mummies are still a threat, so they can't ignore them -- which means they're an excellent distraction while the Linear Guild pounds on the characters, besides using up spells to deal with them.

Or at least, that's my analysis.