Cedric Hardy
Male LN Human Archivist, Level 3, Init +5, HP 13/13, Speed 30
AC 14, Touch 11, Flat-footed 13, Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +6, Base Attack Bonus 1
Light Crossbow (40) 2 (1d6, 19-20x2)
Quarterstaff 1 (1d6, x2)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 17, Cha 8
Condition None

Cedric came to a halt, his staff planted in the soft ground before him. He took off his large, floppy hat and wiped his sweaty brow with an equally sweaty rag that had been used for the same purpose all day. He checked the angle of the setting sun, and peered at the trees around them as he waved ineffectually at the cloud of tiny insects that surrounded his face. "I say. Pr'aps we should have heeded the folk in that last village. Although I misliked the way they were eyeing my hat. Keeps the sun off, and it shouldn't matter how it looks. Only small minds mock a sensible man."

He stopped to listen to the howls, his face set in lines of interest and concentration rather than concern. "Could be wolves of course, and the spotted ibex is known to make such a haunting sound. I'll have to hear more to be certain." He gestured to the log hut by waving his floppy hat in its general direction. "Best we don't give them a reason to attack. I suggest we shelter inside there tonight, if the owners be amenable." With a tired sigh, he plucked his staff from the ground and resumed his long, mile eating stride, heading for the opening of the hut.

"Hullo the house!" His voice rang out, confident and loud.

OOC:
Spoiler
Show
(1d20+6)[10](16) Knowledge Nature check to identify what sort of creature is howling.
(1d20+6)[1](7) Knowledge Geography check to determine if I know where we are.
Can you provide more information about the hut? Is it well maintained? Is there any sort of garden, or obvious food/supply storage? Are there signs of occupation? Smoke, footprints, curtains in the window?