Quote Originally Posted by Mnemnosyne View Post
Spellbook price at 15 GP: A single loose sheet of parchment would appear to be twice the size of a spellbook page. It costs 0.2 gp (2 silver). See 140 Complete Arcane where it breaks down spellbook price. Leather cover: 5 gp, parchment pages: 10 gp. Also for a similar item that follows a similar pattern (loose sheet being larger than book sheet), there is the Terepekkian Blank Book and Paper from 43 Ghostwalk. Paper is more expensive, but is not the material used in standard 15 gp spellbooks.
OK, I can accept this explanation, although I find the idea of using anything but the highest-quality paper in a spellbook, of all things, to be a little odd. Maybe spell inscription inks would be cheaper if they just had acid-free!

Spiked Chain: That doesn't even work, considering a spiked chain is certainly shorter than 10 feet, and is not simply a straight length of chain (see illustration on 119 PHB for an example). Also, removing the spikes wouldn't exactly be a simple matter. How do you 'remove spikes' when the spikes aren't an add-on, but part of the forging of the chain?
Here, though, the proposed hack is more an absurdity to demonstrate that a spiked chain weapon probably shouldn't be cheaper than a regular chain, whether or not you can actually convert them in the suggested manner. I don't know a lot about forging chains by hand, but I do know enough to be fairly sure forging chains with extra spikes and hand-grips is more complex and more expensive, even if only by a little. So if they were priced the same, it be probably be OK, or if the weapon is more expensive, but cheaper? Not so much.