View Single Post

Thread: Civilization 4 succession game: WAR!

1. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Civilization 4 succession game: WAR!

Turn 10; The Time Of Emptyness

When Cathy wisely hired me as her consultant, things were grim in the Empire. We were running a deficit, even with all the money diverted from the scientists. We are surrounded by the Khan, who looks to expand his empire, by Saladin, who despises all who are not himself, and by Mansa Musa, who is also there.

All is not lost, however. The scientists approach a breakthrough on something called "Currency", which they assure me will solve all our economy problems. I am sceptical.

425 B.C.
    I Ascend to the vaunted position of the Right Hand of Cathy. Who or what she has in her Left Hand, only she knows.

365 B.C.
    Some mumbo jumbo called "Confucianism" spreads in our recent aquisition from the Khan.

350 B.C.
    The City of Tunguska is founded between Ulm and Borealum.
    Spoiler
    Show

335 B.C.
    Lots of stuff happens. The Sage Herodotus finishes his Great Work, a list of the Most Cultured Civilisations. The Empire is second only to Saladin in this respect, though Cathy has graciously neglected to order him decapitated as thanks for naming her "Cathy the Great the Great".
    Spoiler
    Show

The Khan arrives on the doorstep of the Palace angrily demanding that Cathy cease all current deals with Mansa Musa. Cathy politely considers his request then politely orders him to get out.
    Spoiler
    Show

The scientists finally complete their work on "Currency". The new shiny pieces are distributed to all the cities, and the richer cities begin work on markets.
    Spoiler
    Show

320 B.C.
    The census has determined that the Empire now stands 1 million souls strong.

At the same time, the same Confucianism stuff spreads in Tunguska.

290 B.C.
    A barbarian galley is sighted off the coast of Ulm.

275 B.C.
    Mansa Musa, upset that we researched something before him, comes begging for the Tech of Currency. Cathy, noting that we have few enough friends, grants his request so as to forge a stronger bond. Mansa leaves delighted, only to be punched in the face by Saladin, who storms in and immediately demands we cease trading with Mansa.

Guess how that went.
    Spoiler
    Show

(Hint, I denied his request)

245 B.C.
    A different type of what my advisors call "religion", known by the name of "Hinduism" spreads in St Petersburg. Meanwhile, that barbarian Galley finally does something and destroys the clam farm off the shore of Ulm.

230 B.C.
    My spies report that a Great Spy has been born in a far off land. I'm not convinced of his brilliance, given that we know about him now.

215 B.C.
    Hinduism spreads in Muscovy. Mansa Musa decides to Organise his Religious needs.

200 B.C.
    I retire today. It has been a long 225 years, serving the Empress, but entirely worth it. Clearly, my rule was so great and just, that Muscovy celebrates "We Love The Despot" day to remember my passing.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Map as of the end of my turn.

Save.

So, things I did but should have done differently:
    City placement, probably.
    Giving Currency to Mansa. We have no friends, and I'd much rather that Mansa be on our side than we have no-one on our side. Trying to avoid any possibly scenario that we could be declared on from two fronts.
    Putting cities on Wealth and Research when no "useful" buildings could be built.
    Didn't defend that Work Boat, or order a replacement.
    No whipping.
    Last edited by The_Final_Stand; 2012-06-24 at 03:12 PM.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.