1. - Top - End - #949
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Got a Real World Weapons or Armour Question? Mk X

Quote Originally Posted by Autolykos View Post
    No. These are to different things. Kinetic energy is a physical quantity, Joule is a unit of measurement. You can express a specific quantity in different units of measurement (kinetic energy can be expressed in Joules, Erg, or whatever strange unit the Americans use), but saying "I calculated Joules, not kinetic energy" just doesn't make any sense.
    You can say it all you want, but a Joule is J=m*d^2/t^2, while Ek=1/2m*d^2/t^2 and is in Joules. I honestly just used the former when I shouldn't have, as while I know offhand what a Joule is, I didn't remember the constant for Ek.

It's pretty much exactly like how surface area is in m^2, but the surface area calculation for a right angle triangle is ab/2, but is still referred to in the unit metres squared. If you just did ab, you'd end up with metres squared, but you're doing it for a square, not a triangle.
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2012-07-16 at 02:30 PM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.