1. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    Speaking of Mr. Bolas, I had my own variation of the deck I aim to try. Its more of a U/G Fog deck than a Grixis type control scheme, and was wondering what comments and sideboard suggestions could be made:

24 Lands
    9x Islands
    3x Swamps
    1x Mountain
    11x Forests

12 Creatures
    4x Augur of Bolas
    4x Arbor Elf
    4x Borderland Ranger

20 Spells
    4x Divination
    4x Sleep
    4x Abundant Growth
    4x Fog
    4x Rampant Growth

4 Planeswalkers
    1x Karn
    3x Nicol Bolas

Its played out fine, and I've never failed to play Bolas when he appears. Any ideas on what e trimmable, and what might make for a more solid play?
    I've tested your list against a Tempered Steel deck.
    All the Vault Skirges, Signal Pests and Glint Hawk Idols just flew over the heads of the Arbor Elfs, Rangers and Augurs and it was quickly over.
    But then again, Tempered Steel is about to rotate and I also discovered that my Tempered Steel deck wasn't even Standard legal (it contained Old Mirrodin artifact lands and Spring Leaf Drums).

So, I quickly threw together a cheapskate standard legal U/W Weenie deck:
    Spoiler
    Show

20 Lands
    10x Plains
    6x Island
    4x Glacial Fortress

24 Creatures
    4x War Falcon
    2x Doomed Traveler
    3x Loyal Cathar
    3x Knight of Glory
    4x Attended Knight
    3x Arctic Aven
    2x Crusader of Odric
    2x Odric, Master Tactician
    1x Captain of the Watch

16 Spells
    2x Unsummon
    3x Negate
    2x Essence Scatter
    3x Feeling of Dread
    3x Oblivion Ring
    1x Ghostly Flicker
    2x Captains Call

Please do note that I have "constructed" this deck in about 5 minutes.

The results were, in the end, not all that different as against Tempered Steel: your deck has no defense against fliers.
    Fog and Sleep did manage to stall the game for a while, long enough to drop Nicol. But Nicol isn't really good against Weenies. Sure, you can take control over one guy out of a million. In my test games, Nicol was either countered right away, or killed/O-Ringed in the following turn - if the game actually lasted longer then the next turn.

Form these experiences I would say: you need defense against fliers. You also need actual board sweepers: Nicol alone cannot hold off an army by himself.
    I also stand by my advice to replace some of the forests with dual lands.

But it is a fun deck to play with. The stalling with Fog and Sleep (aided by Augur of Bolas) does work reasonable well. Arbor Elf and Abundant Growth work well together.
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2012-07-20 at 06:50 PM.