1. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin and rogue in the same group - what's allowed and what's not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemnosyne View Post
    The thing is, your basis that fiends cause harm by their very presence is wrong, except on the material plane. There, and only there, do fiends cause harm by their very presence.

Killing a fiend is always good, but it's also evil if that particular fiend doesn't prey on the innocent, and there is nothing inherent to their nature that requires that to be so, as long as they avoid long-term presence on the material plane.

Now, if you kill fiends because fiends are evil, you're gonna be right almost every time. You may spend lifetimes killing them without ever murdering, because you might not run into one that doesn't prey on the innocent. But, in the ridiculously rare event that you happen to run into such a fiend, and kill it, because 'fiends are evil', you've committed murder. So, if a paladin did that, he'd fall. Because murder is evil, and paladins fall when they willingly commit any evil act, no matter how balanced it is. The paladin could probably get an atonement, and it likely wouldn't be too huge a deal. Maybe he'd have to get a True Resurrection for the fiend he killed to make up for it. But it'd still have been an evil act.
    One of the further points of this is, each of planes on the "Outer Plane" is both infinite, and has an infinite number of denizines. even if your "Always Evil" means only 1/(2^5832) of them are not chaotic evil, that still leaves us with a slightly less insignificant INFINITE number of good aligned fiends.

not only that, but it is often cited that "Always Alignment" unless specifically Neutral Hungry or Unaligned, means 95% of the populous is that alignment.
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-07-30 at 12:26 AM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself