Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
Uhm, do you have seen the table ? Because every single point you raised is on this table. Big damage is +1; save or dies range from +2 to +3, depending on the specific type; spell levels are worth +1 for 1st and 2nd level, and +2 for anything above (which is bullcrap, but hey, its there); different kinds of immunities are listed separately and range from +1 to +2 and there is a generic "special defense" for +1.

Figuring out the XP value for any monster using those guidelines is actually pretty easy.
OK, you made me actually dig out my AD&D DMG (2nd Edition) and look at the table (p. 69).

It's total crap. How can you defend this? "Possesses Magic Items usable against PCs = +1 HD," "Invisible At-Will = +1 HD," "Level 2 or Lower Spells (e.g. Aid, Magic Missile) = +1 HD," "Level 3 or greater spells (e.g. Fireball, Wish) = +1 HD." This is exactly what I was talking about: rules that give you no actual guidance on how much XP a monster should be worth. It's telling you that a Hobgoblin who can cast Fireball is worth just as much XP as one that can cast Wish or one that can become Invisible At Will.

At least I'm glad I wasn't unfairly maligning TSR-era RPGs