View Single Post

Thread: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

1. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

I can see some valid points in this, and have responded accordingly:

Quote Originally Posted by Kholai View Post
    Eldest: Yeah, the free attacks one is pretty great, especially with the right team.
    This reminds me though - I assume "Let Slip" an immediate action? It's inferred from "immediately", but not stated.

Yes. I shall make it explicit.

Concerning the Noble > Tyrant I took a closer look and seriously love the concept, but I'm concerned about:
    First and simply: Minion numbers need to be capped by Tyrant level; even five Kobolds are epic.

This is a reasonable change, and I have made it.

Secondly...
    The potential to summon five Centaurs with longbows. A whole party has infinite, expendable mounts... With longbows. Even at 1 HP uncatchable horse archers are a terrifying prospect, especially with 19 AC from my Major Archetype Charisma bonus.
    Five Dopplegangers. I've now won the social game forever.
    These Dopplegangers Change Shape to Small to occupy squares next to me at all times. They use "Aid Another" to grant me +10 to Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot. Nobles can take ten on a few of those right?
    If needed, I switch for five Derros, for Aid Another for Hiding and Moving Silently, or a few Locathah to "Aid Another" (aka "carry") me whenever there's a risk I get my feet wet.
    If there's a chance I need to get my hands dirty, five Sahuagins can Aid me in Handle Animal, Profession (hunter), Ride and Survival checks, or five Dwarves to help me with Appraise, Craft (blacksmithing), and Craft (stonemasonry) checks.

Giants and monstrous humanoids have been removed as potential minions. Now, your best bets are likely gnolls or bugbears, as I originally intended waaaay back when I first designed the class.

I have a free-floating +10 bonus to most skills (and a 50/50 chance for any skill that can be used untrained out of combat). I have five attacks at +5 to hit, or five Aid Anothers to give up to a +10 attack bonus I can mete out in +2s at a time.

The bonus for aiding another a minion can offer has been cut down to +1. Yes, five of them could still give a hefty bonus, but that A:) requires you to spend five round summoning them B.) requires that they do nothing but aid you and C.) requires them to stay alive until that time. If I have five leering orcs surrounding me, brandishing their greataxes at the lowly shopkeep, a +5 bonus to Intimidate is not unreasonable.

And thanks to an infinite supply of fodder minions, I even have "trapfinding", and Create Food is totally on my spell list.

Working as intended.

Why would I ever want a henchman? I can't begin to express what a downgrade that would be from the ultimate cosmic power of being a Tyrant, just spam Halflings at problems until they go away.

I just gave henchmen a bit of a boost (made them a cohort with a level equal to half the tyrant's, technically a downgrade at 3rd level but net neutral or positive from there on). They're more customizable and equippable now - if you want to give your henchmen a magic suit of armor, you may do so now, though they will take it with them if they are dismissed or killed.

So.... Yeah, there probably should be a real, tangible cost to calling up minions, HP and combat are by far the least devastating uses here.

It's an opportunity cost more than anything else - the tyrant has very few other class features. "Throw minions at it until it stops being a problem" should be a viable strategy. Hopefully with the changes I've made it should be a little more reasonable, and the abusable parts of it less so.

On scaling Henchmen: What about something like Animal Companion scaling? I can totally see a retooled version of it fitting a hench.

'S late, so I'll respond to everything else later.
    Also, I took the idea about expanding Impel and ran with it. Here's the new version of it, now available at level 2:

Impel: By giving up his own actions for a round, the noble may allow his allies to take additional actions. At first, the noble may only offer his allies swift actions - by forgoing his own swift action, he may select one ally within 30'. That ally may take an additional swift action during its next turn. At 4th level, the noble may forgo his own move action to allow an ally within 30' to take an additional move action on its next turn. At 6th level, the noble may forgo his own standard action to allow an ally within 30' to take an additional standard action on its own turn.

One archetype will likely have the ability to allow his allies to take those actions immediately, rather than having to wait for their next turn.

Also, the noble's new 6th level ability:

Natural Born Leader: Once per encounter, the noble may make use of one of the following abilities:

Fly, You Fools: As a move action, all allies within 30' of the noble (excluding himself) have their base land speed doubled for one round, and may immediately move up to their newly-modified base speed.

Supreme Motivation: As a full-round action, the noble allows one ally within 30' (excluding himself) to immediately take a full round's worth of actions.

The Whites of Their Eyes: As an immediate action, the noble allows all allies within 30' (excluding himself) to make a single melee or ranged attack as an immediate action.