Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
Yeah, but those are enemies that are either currently or soon to be hostile. The caveman was an innocent whose only crime was being injured enough to endanger their escape. Those are two entirely different scales of dark.
The First Doctor, especially in his first few serials, was kind of a terrible person in a lot of ways, only gradually turning into the sort of guy we tend to think of. I'm going to spoiler this in case someone doesn't want to have the first season spoiled, but I don't expect that'll be a problem.

Spoiler
Show
Among those of his exploits that I can remember are:

* In the first episode, the Doctor refuses to let Ian and Barbara leave the TARDIS once they know he's an alien, and then when Susan threatens to leave the TARDIS he deliberately triggers it, stranding Ian and Barbara with him for the next two years.
* In the Daleks, he steals a piece of his own TARDIS so that the others will let him explore the mysterious city, pretending that it's broken. Then, when he finds out that the Kahls are in danger of being genocided by the Daleks, he tries to leave the planet. He only stops because the Daleks got the TARDIS piece he lost.
* In The Edge of Destruction, he attempts to murder Ian and Barbara (although to be fair, he does think they're sabotaging the TARDIS at this point).
* The first time we see him have any kind of respect or liking for humans at all is in the Aztecs, when he accidentally gets married. At the end of that episode, he can't bring himself to discard the token his 'wife' gave him, and takes it onto the TARDIS with him.

After that, I think he's mostly only a jerk to people who actually deserve it, but he definitely tricks more than a few people to their deaths.