Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
Which is a bloody awful trade for an E6 game. You'd never get your second attack per level.
Initiators trade attacks into single, much better, attacks all the time, is this a downgrade?

Secondly: You're getting Trapfinding, a Sleep spell, a melee touch at-will (Does Static Trigger, as a melee attack, count for the damage bonus as well?), or a permanent light source, or an invisibility detector, an awesome compass o' glory, or a huge Jump bonus....
You're trading an attack at a -5 to hit (when you can easily get three anyway without it), for a lot more than free bonus damage.
I'm totally happy with the +2 damage limit, because that stops it from being *totally* awesome.

The engineer basically has a combination of permanent class features and/or healing/damaging abilities they can change day by day, even at level 1.

My intention for the engineer was to have a greater day-to-day variety, but be restricted in the kinds of effects they can produce. That's why most of their inventions are damage-dealers, with a few exceptions. One option for reducing the power of the engineer is to have their archetype dictate which disciplines they can use - a sawbones could use chemistry and medicine, but no others, for example.
I actually like this a lot, maybe they could have an "inventions known" list and pick up one or two "cross-archetype" inventions as they levelled from other disciplines?

A certain number of level 1 inventions, level 2, et cetera. Perhaps like so...
I'd be happy with this, or possibly a total "pool" of "invention points" maybe? So for example at level 6 they can prepare 12 "points" worth of abilities. This could be four level 3 abilities, but you'd get overall more if you went with 2/2/2 instead.

Yes, but the poet gets some pretty decent power from his songs. The engineer pretty much only has inventions.
It may be an interesting exercise to list the "possible effects" available to each class at basic level 6 with their resources. I'll possibly have a go at it when I have some time on my hands, should be interesting.