View Single Post

Thread: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

1. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

When I first designed the inventions system, I based it on crafting, listing DCs, prices, time to craft, et cetera. It was quite unwieldy. I feel that going back to that system would be a bad choice. "Downtime" varies heavily from game to game, group to group, and I don't want a class to depend on it to function. Also, I don't like the idea of a class's features requiring gold to function - yes, some spells have expensive components, but they're comparatively rare. As difficult as it is to rationalize, I much prefer the nuclear-powered infinite backpack/laboratory of holding version. I'm okay with sacrificing verisimilitude for ease of play now and then.

Also, to help clean up the invention descriptions, I'm going to be organizing inventions into four basic types:

Armament: Permanent while prepared, must be worn or wielded and take up equipment slots on the body.

Grenade: Thrown splash weapons. 5' radius, range increment 10'.

Serum: Injections that must be applied as a melee touch attack, or, if beneficial, may be applied to oneself (or allies, if a sawbones) as a standard action with a range of touch that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Contraption: Everything else - essentially, inventions with a discrete activation and a finite duration, but generally do not require attack rolls.