Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
Yeah, my mom said she had the same, and my dad was just passing by and said he too.

I guess part of it may be, that we're at least used to it in theory. My mom is a pastor, my dad works in a mental institution for dangerous criminals, I worked in a nursery home, and most of our family friends are nurses, firemen, and police officers. That gives you a different perspective at things, you are lot more in control, knowing what's going on.
But there's probably also the experts's curse as work here. An architect can't walk down the street and a critic not watch a single movie without analyzing everything and nitpicking about every tiny detail. And when you're trained how to spot people struggling with grief, you can't help but making yourself a case study.
Ah, I see what you mean.

It sounds to me that your family is above-average when it comes to people in the caring professions. I am impressed, and touched. That does make it hard, as you say ... but you also have the assurance that everyone in the family knows that everyone else's grief is "fine".

CS Lewis made a case study of his own grief when his wife died of cancer. When I read it, I was impressed by his keen observations, his deep compassion, and his honesty ... but particularly how much harder it was to grieve with such intense awareness. I've read yourreplies on this thread, and I think you have some of Lewis' good qualities, and also his awareness. I hope that, in the long run, this will help you, although it might make things very difficult right now.

Take care, Yora. I'm thinking about you.

- Monkey