View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #860 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    That would means executing a prisoner after he surrendered, and even if Roy would go for that (doubtful), Durkon wouldn't. Lawful Good Dude is Lawful Good.

Neither would Elan probably, come to think of it, based on his reaction to Kobuto in a similar situation.
    I admit that it's mostly a matter of opinion, but I think the Kobuto solution was significantly different; Elan was (somewhat niavely) under the impression that he could get the prisoner, who was technically a vassal of Lord Hinjo, a fair trial. Under what authority of law, exactly, would the OotS arrest Tarquin? And to whom do they bring him to be judged?

The line between Lawful Good and Lawful Stupid can be blurry at times, and letting a powerful, evil, and proven-dangerous enemy go free to continue to terrorise at will just because it's mildly more convenient strikes me as seriously forgetting about the second half of the LG alignment. I'm pretty sure that even with all of it's problems, the paladin's code of honor says that you do not need to obey evil laws just for the sake of alignment.
    If you really wanted to stick to the lawful-thing, then I could see this being offered as a compromise: (spoilered again, because of the rule about speculation)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roy: You will be temporarily un-lifed; in a few months once we've got this whole end-of-the-world business wrapped up, we will transport you to Lord Hinjo of Neo-Azure City, where you will be resurrected and may stand trial. If you choose not to accept the resurection, you will be assumed to have plead guilty on all charges.

Like I said originally, there is a lot of "if's" and "maybe's" in the equation, and it just doesn't seem like something that Tarquin would leave up to the whims of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Felixc-91 View Post
    But one must wonder... where is Elan?
    Undoubtedly running ahead to the gate to call "Dibs!" so that no one else can claim it.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2012-08-09 at 11:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!